[Dovecot] Cannot remove Maildir folder

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 30 17:42:08 EEST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 16:22 +0200, Marcin Deranek wrote:
> 5. Folder is removed but I get additional ..DOVECOT-TRASHED directory -
> next time it won't be possible to remove it

Dovecot should delete that directory automatically the next time LIST
command is given.

> dovecot: IMAP(marcin):
> unlink_directory(/home/marcin/Maildir/..DOVECOT-TRASHED) failed: Device
> or resource busy

Dovecot could just ignore that error also, but I don't know if that's a
good idea..

> To me it looks like one imap process tries to delete .Trash.test
> directory (first rename and then unlink) whereas other imap process has
> still opened dovecot.* files.

Most likely that Thunderbird has opened multiple connections, and in one
it still has the mailbox opened while another one tries to delete it.

> Any workaround/fix for that ?

Not really. Is it a real problem? :)

Pretty much the only way to fix this would be to make one imap process
tell other imap processes to close the mailbox before it tries deleting
it. Too much trouble to be worth it.

Another way would be to make one IMAP process handle all the connections
from a user. That's something I've been thinking about doing optionally
in Dovecot 2.0.