[Dovecot] How to move a Maildir directory to a new server?

Darrin Smart darrinsmart at gmail.com
Wed May 31 14:04:27 EEST 2006

Hi All,

I'd like to ask about the best practice for moving a user's Maildir
from one host to another.

I moved a few user's home directories, and therefore their ~/Maildir
folders. They have complained that since the move, they don't see all
the messages in their INBOX for a while, but eventually they all
appear again. They are using Thunderbird.

I tried deleting the index files but it didn't help.

Can anyone give advice? I have a soft link pointing from the old home
directory to the new one, and both paths were on NFS. I can't see how
dovecot could give different results, could it be related to message
UID numbers?

I did notice that when I moved my own home directory, Mail.app
re-downloaded every mail when I opened each folder. Thunderbird
doesn't seem to do this, perhaps its related.

Thanks.

Darrin