[Dovecot] about init.d script

John Gray gray at agora-net.com
Wed May 31 15:50:57 EEST 2006

Andrea Riela wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> someone using Debian? I need the init script, if you please :)
> Thanks for your support
> Regards
> Andrea
Here's the script I'm using.  I'm not quite sure where it came from any
more.  Perhaps it was from packaged version that comes with sarge.  More
I check about, I think one of my guys created it from the template.

I have a quick and dirty debian package for beta 7 if anybody wants it
(it was made with checkinstall).  Beta 8 wouldn't be much trouble either.

John

#! /bin/sh

set -e

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DESC="Starts Dovecot"
NAME=dovecot
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/$NAME
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
SCRIPTNAME=/etc/init.d/$NAME

# Gracefully exit if the package has been removed.
test -x $DAEMON || exit 0

# Read config file if it is present.
#if [ -r /etc/default/$NAME ]
#then
#       . /etc/default/$NAME
#fi

#
#       Function that starts the daemon/service.
#
d_start() {
        start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE \
                --exec $DAEMON
}

#
#       Function that stops the daemon/service.
#
d_stop() {
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE \
                --name $NAME
}

#
#       Function that sends a SIGHUP to the daemon/service.
#
d_reload() {
        start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile $PIDFILE \
                --name $NAME --signal 1
}

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: $NAME"
        d_start
        echo "."
        ;;
  stop)
        echo -n "Stopping $DESC: $NAME"
        d_stop
        echo "."
        ;;
  #reload)
        #
        #       If the daemon can reload its configuration without
        #       restarting (for example, when it is sent a SIGHUP),
        #       then implement that here.
        #
        #       If the daemon responds to changes in its config file
        #       directly anyway, make this an "exit 0".
        #
        # echo -n "Reloading $DESC configuration..."
        # d_reload
        # echo "done."
  #;;
  restart|force-reload)
        #
        #       If the "reload" option is implemented, move the
"force-reload"
        #       option to the "reload" entry above. If not,
"force-reload" is
        #       just the same as "restart".
        #
        echo -n "Restarting $DESC: $NAME"
        d_stop
        sleep 1
        d_start
        echo "."
        ;;
  *)
        # echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME
{start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}" >&2
        echo "Usage: $SCRIPTNAME {start|stop|restart|force-reload}" >&2
        exit 1
        ;;
esac

exit 0

John Gray                           gray at agora-net.com
AgoraNet, Inc.                      (302) 224-2475
314 E. Main Street, Suite 1         (302) 224-2552 (fax)
Newark, De 19711                    http://www.agora-net.com