[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.0beta8 dovecot-auth consumes 100% CPU time on Solaris 10 amd64

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 31 17:10:25 EEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 09:33 -0400, Tore André Klock wrote:
> This is the output from truss(1) pointed at the dovecot-auth process:
> --cut--
> pollsys(0xFFFFFD7FFFDFF6F0, 5, 0xFFFFFD7FFFDFF6D0, 0x00000000) = 0
> pollsys(0xFFFFFD7FFFDFF6F0, 5, 0xFFFFFD7FFFDFF6D0, 0x00000000) = 0
> pollsys(0x00467DC0, 10, 0xFFFFFD7FFFDFFB10, 0x00000000) = 1
> [same sequence repeats ad nauseum]
> --cut--

So if pollsys() does return 1 many times a second, it means that some
some connection is talking to Dovecot constantly. But if there's nothing
else than pollsys() calls there, Dovecot doesn't react on it at all.. A
bit difficult to guess why that would happen.

> auth_bind = yes
> auth_bind_userdn = uid=%u,ou=People,o=example.com,o=example.com
..
> - The problem *seems* to occur only when I use LDAP authentication.

Is it possible that you could try this without auth_bind to see if the
bug is in it or elsewhere in LDAP authentication?

> - I noted that the poll(2) call in Solaris will return immediately given a
> timeout of zero (-1 is 'forever').

The pollsys() parameters seem to be something completely different. I
get similar values when trussing Dovecot processes which are waiting in
pollsys() for a couple of seconds.

If you can't solve this in Dovecot's side, you could still use pam_ldap
instead.