[Dovecot] INBOX un-subscribable (is that a word?)

Jim Horner jhorner at arinbe.com
Wed Nov 1 22:28:18 UTC 2006

I am trying to get open-xchange installed and working (which after two days
might be futile). In doing this I noticed that no email client can subscribe
to INBOX. I'm using rc10 and my namespaces are the following. 99% of the
email clients ignore the inability to subscribe to INBOX and display all the
folders underneath anyway which is why I've never noticed this issue...
however, open-xchange is not in that camp and only displays messages in
INBOX. All folders are in the subscriptions file including INBOX but all
email clients always list INBOX as not subscribed to.

COMPANY are ROOTMAIL are share folders with ACLs in /etc/dovecot/acl and those
top folders are not subscribable either.

namespace public {
    separator = .
    prefix = COMPANY.
    location =
maildir:/home/services/mail/arinbe.com/arinbe/Maildir:CONTROL=%h/shared-settings/company/control:INDEX=%h/shared-settings/company/index
    hidden = no
    inbox = no
}

namespace public {
    separator = .
    prefix = ROOTMAIL.
    location =
maildir:/home/services/mail/arinbe.com/rootmail/Maildir:CONTROL=%h/shared-settings/rootmail/control:INDEX=%h/shared-settings/rootmail/index
    hidden = no
    inbox = no
}

# default namespace