[Dovecot] Sending email using IMAP

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Nov 2 22:50:23 UTC 2006

also sprach Marc Perkel <marc at perkel.com> [2006.11.02.2343 +0100]:
> This is something for after the 1.0 release but I think it's important
> and I'm going to try to figure out how to make it happen. I'd like to
> see some way to pass outgoing email from Thunderbird back to dovecot
> through some new command that we would have to make up. Email would be
> sent back over the IMAP connection and when Dovecot gets it dovecot
> would hand it off to an SMTP server that would deliver it.

FWIW, courier already allows this by way of a special folder. You
configure Thunderbird to send mail to the discard port, or using
e.g. /bin/true, and to store a copy of sent mail in the .outgoing
folder. The courier mail server then takes all messages in this
folder and sends them on. No module required on the client side, no
protocol modifications.

  \____ echo mailto: !#^."<*>"|tr "<*> mailto:" net at madduck

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net

"you don't sew with a fork, so i see no reason
 to eat with knitting needles."
                               -- miss piggy, on eating chinese food