[Dovecot] Postfix + Dovecot LDA Problem

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Thu Nov 2 23:14:55 UTC 2006

I am having a problem setting up a server to handle e-mail in a way
in which it had always done traditionally, but with Postfix+Dovecot LDA.

Here's a rundown...

Solaris 9
Postfix 2.3.3
Dovecot 1.0.rc10

Postfix non-defaults (postconf -n):

alias_maps = dbm:/etc/mail/aliases
command_directory = /opt/postfix/sbin
config_directory = /etc/opt/postfix
daemon_directory = /opt/postfix/libexec
debug_peer_level = 2
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = $myhostname
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_command = /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/deliver -f "$SENDER"
mailq_path = /opt/postfix/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /opt/postfix/man
masquerade_domains = tc.umn.edu
masquerade_exceptions = root
mydestination = $myhostname
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, ... (omitted)
myorigin = $mydomain
newaliases_path = /opt/postfix/bin/newaliases
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = no
relayhost = [omitted.tc.umn.edu]
sample_directory = /etc/opt/postfix
sendmail_path = /opt/postfix/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, reject
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

This works just like our old MTA, with one exception: sending e-mail
to addresses within our domain (@tc.umn.edu) requires us to specify
the @tc.umn.edu -- otherwise it is rejected with a message like
alias at host.tc.umn.edu does not exist.  I want such messages to be
relayed to the relayhost.  When I set mydestination to null, and
luser_relay = $user@$domain the message goes into a black hole (I never
get the message, nor do I get an NDN.)

I am posting this to both the Dovecot and Postfix lists since I'm not
sure where the fault lies, configuration- or software-wise.

Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593