[Dovecot] Authentication in outlook

Amon Ott ao at rsbac.org
Fri Nov 3 08:49:15 UTC 2006

On Donnerstag 02 November 2006 20:41, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-10-28 at 08:10 -0700, Paul Aguirre wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have instaled dovecot 1.0.rc10, and my configuration works fine
if I get the mail with Evolution mail client, bu if I try to use
outlook to get mails the authentication fail and I can't pass through
the logon window.
> > The maillog appear this message:
> > dovecot: pop3-login: Disconnected: rip=192.168.0.22,
lip=192.168.0.1

> auth_debug=yes setting will help you.

By default Outlook uses plaintext authentication. You can either
enable it with
disable_plaintext_auth = no
in your Dovecot config, or you can make Outlook use SSL. Look into
Outlook's extra options for your mail account.

Unfortunately, Outlook makes trouble with self signed SSL certs: It
requires to accept the certificate again after every restart, what is
very annoying for the users and makes it hard to recognize forged
certs. So you will have the choice to allow password sniffing, annoy
your users, buy an official cert - or to get a decent mail client
installed.

Amon.