[Dovecot] MySQL Configuration

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Nov 4 16:06:52 UTC 2006

Dovecot 1.0.rc10
FreeBSD 6.1

This is probably a dumb question; however, I have never let a little thing
like that bother me in the past.

In the 'dovecot.conf' file there are the follow two sections:

  # SQL database
  passdb sql {
    # Path for SQL configuration file, see doc/dovecot-sql.conf for example
    args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
  }

  userdb sql {
    # Path for SQL configuration file, see doc/dovecot-sql.conf for example
    args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-sql.conf
  }

I keep the 'users' and their respective 'passwords' in the same MySQL
database. I am not sure why I wouldn't. Therefore, would it not make more
sense to have just one MySQL configuration line in the 'dovecot.conf' file
rather than two, or am I missing something here?

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

Laws are like sausages.  It's better not to see them being made.

	Otto von Bismarck