[Dovecot] ~/.maildir preferable to %h/Maildir and ~/Maildir?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 17:53:46 UTC 2006

I have a recently deployed dovecot server and am readying another. Upon
updating to rc12, I note the following change in the default dovecot.conf
file:

 -default_mail_env = mbox:/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/dovecot/%u
 +mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir

Integrating this change to my local dovecot.conf:

 # formerly used    default_mail_env = maildir:%h/Maildir
 # dovecot default  mail_location = maildir:~/.maildir
 mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

With unix users of the form:

  myuser:x:505:100:My User:/home/myuser:/sbin/nologin

each having ~/Maildir, should I:

1) use the ~/.maildir form over ~/Maildir.

2) use the ~ instead of %h

3) do anything for dovecot's benefit (reindex, etc.) besides a per-user
'mv ~/Maildir ~/.maildir' if 1).

I came straight from an ancient sendmail mbox setup to dovecot, so I want
to do things the best-pracitce IMAP/dovecot way. Thanks.