[Dovecot] ~/.maildir preferable to %h/Maildir and ~/Maildir?

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 18:19:31 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Where did you get rc12? In my tarball there are still:
>
> #   mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
> #   mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> #   mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/%d/%1n/%n:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%1n/%n
>
> No "~/.maildir" anywhere, and I don't recommend using it either.

Ah, that's probably my fault to have gotten the update misquoted. I
installed it from Gentoo ~x86, but my mistake likely comes from the
shuffling of dovecot.conf to dovecot-orig.conf each time I install a
dovecot update.

I have been trying to keep the contents of my dovecot.conf down to just
the actual configuration directives used, and this gets clobbered by the
etc-update.

Thanks for setting me straight. So to wrap up the subquestion, is ~
preferable to %h?

  base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
  protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
  listen = *
  shutdown_clients = yes
  log_path = /var/log/mail.log
  info_log_path = /var/log/mail.log
  log_timestamp = "%b %d %H:%M:%S "
  syslog_facility = mail
  disable_plaintext_auth = no
  ssl_disable = no
  ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
  ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
  login_chroot = yes
  login_user = dovecot
  mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
  mail_extra_groups = mail
  mail_debug = yes
  protocol pop3 {
    pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
  }
  auth_verbose = yes
  auth_debug = yes
  auth_debug_passwords = yes
  auth default {
    mechanisms = plain login
    passdb pam {
      args = dovecot
    }
    userdb passwd {
    }
    socket listen {
      client {
        # Assuming the default Postfix $queue_directory setting
        path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
        mode = 0660
        # Assuming the default Postfix user and group
        user = postfix
        group = postfix
      }
    }