[Dovecot] suspected bug in dovecot-ldap setup?

Pedro Venda pjvenda at pjvenda.org
Tue Nov 7 10:10:44 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 November 2006 12:31, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 10:15 +0000, Pedro Venda wrote:
> > >
> > > ..

> > > user_filter is used by userdb only, after the password authentication
> > > was successful. So I guess you wanted to modify pass_filter instead?
> >
> > You see, I'm using auth_bind = yes, so pass_filter isn't relevant.
> > Dovecot doesn't need to find the password, given that authentication
> > relies on successfull binding.
>
> If you use auth_bind=yes, but not auth_bind_userdn, then the dn is
> looked up using pass_filter, not user_filter. user_filter is used only
> after a successful authentication to look up the user_attrs.

ok Timo, I understood.

These options aren't very intuitive, however, because with auth_bind = yes,
you don't need to lookup any password, so I figured pass_filter wasn't
necessary... That was my first mistake.
On the other hand, user_filter would be the filter to look for a given user...
my second mistake.

Best regards,
--

Pedro João Lopes Venda