[Dovecot] Store outgoing mail in users mailbox

Mark Ruys mark.ruys at in2sports.net
Tue Nov 7 11:24:44 UTC 2006

This might be a MTA question, but because I use Dovecot as an LDA, maybe
some can help me here.

Our users would like that outgoing mail is automatically saved in some
folder, say Sent. We use Postfix with virtual domains, Maildir and
Dovecot+Sieve as LDA. Outgoing mail is relayed by our imap-server (with
authentification of course, no open relay).

Most people seem to advice Postfix sender_bcc_maps and Dovecot's deliver
with the -m argument. But I can't get it work. I tried:

In master.cf:

dovecot-archive   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe

  flags=DRhu user=mailowner:mailowner argv=/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver -d
${recipient} -m Sent

In main.cf:

sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_bcc_map

In sender_bcc_map:

tester at ruijs.cc           dovecot-archive:

But that doesn't work. It looks like "dovecot-archive:" should be a real
email address, not a transport (this give an idea of my Postfix knowledge
;). Then I tried:

In sender_bcc_map:

tester at ruijs.cc           tester+archive at ruijs.cc

But I don't think Dovecot's LDA supports plus addressing.

So my question is, has anyone here done a similar thing in a similar
setting. If so, how did you configure it.

Thans,

Mark

Oudenhof 14b, 4191 NW Geldermalsen, The Netherlands
Web site and travel directions:   www.in2sports.net
Phone +31.345.473699    ::    Mobile +31.6.51298623