[Dovecot] Index corruption causes child process to die

Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen daniel at copyleft.no
Tue Nov 7 16:45:32 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> mmap_disable=yes does quite a many things differently than
> mmap_disable=no, so I guess it could just be a bug somewhere in the =no
> codepath.
>
> Daniel, how about you? Does mmap_disable=yes fix it for you? And what
> error messages exactly do you get?

Hi.

It's hard for me to tell, because the problem is intermittent, and I can't
make it appear on my test rig / development platform.

And when set mmap_disable=yes the load goes through the roof on the
production servers, and they quickly become unresponsive, so I have to
set it back to mmap_disable=yes.

But I would have to say that it _appears_ the particular errors are not
present when running with mmap_disable=yes. I'm trying to test it again
now to verify.

The exact error I've been getting is:

Nov  7 17:10:53 famine dovecot: IMAP(account-name): Corrupted index file /var/shemail/maildirs/site/user/.folder/dovecot.index: Duplicate header extension keywords

This only happens for Thunderbird IMAP users as far as I can tell. The
client then loses connection with the server after a timeout that can last
for a minute or two.

After reconnecting, duplicates of some messages will sometimes appear, and
some times new messages will be sorted at the top of Thunderbird's list.

In the maildir, these duplicate messages are hardlinks of the same file.

I'm running FreeBSD 6.1 with Dovecot 1.0rc12.

--
Daniel Mikkelsen
Copyleft Software AS