[Dovecot] Index corruption causes child process to die

Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen daniel at copyleft.no
Tue Nov 7 18:00:32 UTC 2006

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 17:45 +0100, Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen wrote:
>> And when set mmap_disable=yes the load goes through the roof on the
>> production servers, and they quickly become unresponsive, so I have to
>> set it back to mmap_disable=yes.
>
> "back to mmap_disable=no" I guess? They shouldn't affect load that much,
> mmap_disable should just use somewhat more memory and CPU.

(Yes to the guess.) Perhaps it was the setting lock_method=dotlock that
I tested at the same time that affected load.

>> After reconnecting, duplicates of some messages will sometimes appear, and
>> some times new messages will be sorted at the top of Thunderbird's list.
>
> Also that error message doesn't have anything to do with creation of
> duplicate messages.

On closer inspeciton, the duplication of messages appears is associated
with an extra error:

Nov  7 14:10:40 famine dovecot: IMAP(account-name): Fixed index file /var/shemail/maildirs/site/user/.folder/dovecot.index: first_recent_uid_lowwater 814 -> 813
Nov  7 14:10:40 famine dovecot: IMAP(account-name): Corrupted index file /var/shemail/maildirs/site/user/.folder/dovecot.index: Duplicate header extension keywords
Nov  7 14:10:40 famine dovecot: child 5088 (imap) killed with signal 11

Where I find these three errors, I'm also able to find a set of hardlinked
mail files with corresponding timestamp.

>> In the maildir, these duplicate messages are hardlinks of the same file.

> Do you have maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes? If yes, it sounds like the
> client is copying messages into the mailbox itself (or possibly copy to
> Trash and back to inbox). If it's set to no, then I don't think it's
> Dovecot creating those files at all.

It's set to yes.

--
Daniel Mikkelsen