[Dovecot] Corrupted index cache file dovecot.index.cache: invalid record size

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 7 18:46:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 11:56 -0500, bofh list wrote:
> On 11/2/06, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2006-10-18 at 17:53 -0400, bofh list wrote:
>         > Hi,
>         >
>         > Our dovecot setup consists of two hosts running
>         dovecot-1.0.beta9 with
>         > Maildir/indices stored on NFS(noac,actimeo=0 used).
>         >
>         > I am seeing these messages at times - but no real problems
>         on the
>         > client side.  Is this something to worry about?
>         >
>         > dovecot: Oct 17 10:33:31 Error: IMAP(user): Corrupted index
>         cache file
>         > mailstore/user/Maildir/.mail.incoming/dovecot.index.cache:
>         invalid
>         > record size
>
>         1.0.beta9 is old. I've done several fixes to cache file
>         handling since.
>
>         Anyway the cache corruption errors aren't too bad, since
>         they're fixed
>         automatically and they won't show up to users at all.
>

> FWIW, we are still seeing these index corruption errors in
> dovecot-1.0rc12.
>

> dovecot: Nov 06 17:19:37 Error: IMAP(1): Corrupted index cache file
> mailstore/1/Maildir/dovecot.index.cache: invalid record size

What OS are you using as the NFS client? I think the most likely reason
for these is that the OS still does some kind of caching even though the
cache is disabled. The cache file is handled a bit specially from
locking point of view, which might cause problems unless the NFS client
really does no caching at all.