[Dovecot] Dovecot rc12 on Mandriva 2007.0 woes

Egbert Jan egbert at vandenbussche.nl
Tue Nov 7 21:19:38 UTC 2006

Hi list!    (cc to Jerome of Mandriva.org)

I'm fighting to get dovecot rc12 working on Mandriva 2007.0 with Postfix
2.3.3. Postfix works fine for both system and virtual users. Mail is
delivered in the correct Maildirs. System users have /home/user/Maildir/ and
virtual users have /home/virtual/domain.tld/user/.

I think I've build and installed correct rpm's using the Cooker src.rpm (by
Jerome) for rc7 modified by me for rc12.

My problem is to get a working dovecot.conf file. Apart from all relocated
file locations in Mandriva (/usr instead of /usr/local and other less
obvious changes), I want to use imap (and later imaps) with local real
system users. I'm completely lost here. Whatever I think is right syntax in
dovecot.conf, is immediately leading to problems. Dovecot refuses to start.
The doc in the dovecot.conf is rather chaotic, imho. Could somebody give me
a WORKING example of the userdb and passdb setting for ordinary imap to the
Maildir in /home/user of an ordinairy system user, please?

Later on I hope to be able to add MySql lookup of virtual users myself...

TIA
Egbert Jan (NL)