[Dovecot] Index corruption causes child process to die

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 7 21:35:05 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 08:13 +1300, Juha Saarinen wrote:
> On 11/8/06, Hr. Daniel Mikkelsen <daniel at copyleft.no> wrote:
> > > Do you have maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes? If yes, it sounds like the
> > > client is copying messages into the mailbox itself (or possibly copy to
> > > Trash and back to inbox). If it's set to no, then I don't think it's
> > > Dovecot creating those files at all.
> >
> > It's set to yes.
>
> I have maildir_copy_with_hardlinks=yes as well. Would it better to
> turn that off?

No. I was just wondering what would cause the copies to be made.

I tried reproducing this "Duplicate header" error myself, but I
couldn't. I also can't see anything in the code that would even allow
the duplication to be created.

I did however notice that there's one race condition between expunging
mails and saving new mails. I'm not sure if that helps for this problem,
but it might. Fixed in latest nightly snapshot (in a couple of minutes,
still building) and patch here:

http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot-cvs/2006-November/006759.html

If that doesn't help, I've also attached a debug patch. Could you try
running with it and see if it now crashes with signal 6? If it does,
could you send me a gdb backtrace then?

Also if it crashes with signal 11 somewhere I'd like a backtrace of that
too. See "Debugging crashes" in http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html