[Dovecot] Deliver: command time exceed limit

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Nov 8 12:51:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 13:44 +0100, Dominique Feyer wrote:
> After upgrade to the RC12 no more time limit exceed in postfix log, but
> in the deliver log, I have:
>
> Error: User request from dovecot-auth timed out
>
> How can I improve the performance of the dovecot-auth ?
>
> Can I use the dovecot-auth cache ? It's disable in our configuration ?

If the deliver is giving such timeouts, then I'd guess that you'll get
similar problems for pop/imap logins as well.

What passdb and userdb are you using? auth-cache might help, but I'm
guessing the problem is that you're using some blocking passdb/userdb
which causes the whole process to hang while waiting for a reply from
somewhere.

How many dovecot-auth processes do you have? The default is one (auth
section, count=1). Growing that might help. How large is the CPU usage
by the dovecot-auth?