[Dovecot] Question regarding bounce messages on quota full.

Mustafa A. Hashmi mahashmi at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 06:50:06 UTC 2006

Dear Timo:

I tried rc11 from source and the exact same issue occurs. The deliver
program dies with status 11 if the user is over (virtual) quota.

Could this possibly be a result of how dovecot is configured on our
end? We are pulling quota information from LDAP (using qmailUser
schema attribute mailQuotaSize). The LDAP attribute value has the
following format:

maildir:storage=10240:messages=1000

Additionally, dovecot-ldap.conf has the following settings:

user_attrs = uid,mailMessageStore,,,,,mailQuotaSize=quota

Using postfix as the MTA, the master.cf file invokes dovecot as follows:
--
dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
 flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -d ${recipient}

main.cf (from postfix) directs messages to dovecot in the following manner:
--
dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1

ldaptransportlocal_result_filter = dovecot
ldaptransportlocal_version = 3
ldaptransportlocal_server_host = ldap.company.com
ldaptransportlocal_search_base = dc=company, dc=com
ldaptransportlocal_query_filter =
(&(|(mail=%s)(mailAlternateAddress=%s))(mailHost=$localroute)(|(AccountStatus=active)))
ldaptransportlocal_result_attribute = uid

dovecot.conf relevant sections:
--
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = quota
  postmaster_address = postmaster at domain.com
  auth_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot-auth-master
}

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain

  socket listen {
     master {
       path = /var/run/dovecot-auth-master
       mode = 0600
       user =  vmail # User running Dovecot LDA
       #group = mail # Or alternatively mode 0660 + LDA user in this group
     }
   }

  passdb pam {

  }

  # LDAP database
  userdb ldap {
    args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
  }
  user = root
}

plugin {
  quota = maildir:storage=102400:messages=500
}

Quotas generally work properly -- that is, if a user over quota tries
to move copy messages from one folder to another, he gets the "over
quota" message as required.

Delivery by itself works fine if the user is not over quota.

The delivery program runs as system user vmail as defined in master.cf.

I am at a bit of a loss on how to proceed as I doubt this is a problem
with dovecot -- this is most likely a configuration problem on my end.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mustafa.

--
Mustafa A. Hashmi