[Dovecot] Problems Creating Core Dumps

Joseph D. Wagner technojoecoolusa at comcast.net
Mon Nov 20 05:28:10 UTC 2006

Dovecot 1.0.rc15 crashed on my FC4 server, but it didn't create a core dump.  Upon further research, I found these lines tucked away in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions file:

# make sure it doesn't core dump anywhere unless requested ulimit -S -c ${DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT:-0} >/dev/null 2>&1

The /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions file is a master file that is referenced by all of the init scripts, so I didn't want to change it.  Instead, I created a file /etc/sysconfig/dovecot with the following line:

DAEMON_COREFILE_LIMIT=unlimited

If I'm reading the /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions file correctly, this should work, but my bash is rusty.  I was hoping someone else could check my work.

Joseph D. Wagner