[Dovecot] maildirsize update error

Maykel Moya moya at infomed.sld.cu
Mon Nov 20 22:11:09 UTC 2006

El lun, 20-11-2006 a las 13:43 +0100, Steffen Kaiser escribió:

> On Sat, 18 Nov 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 16:07 -0500, Maykel Moya wrote:
> >> According to [1], Trash is a reserverd folder name. When moving a
> >> message to it, maildirsize should be update with a negative byte count.
> >
> > Well, yea.. I'm ignoring that part of the Maildir++ spec. Perhaps it
> > could be done optionally, but I'm not sure if it's still that good of an
> > idea.
> >
> > I think a better idea is to give Trash mailbox a bit of extra quota,
> > instead of unlimited quota. Unfortunately this won't work with v1.0's
> > quota plugin, but it is possible with my rewritten quota plugin:
>
> The original post mentioned that to move a message into Trash fails, when
> the user is over quota.
> This, in the end, prevents an user to get under quota in MailDir++,
> because the messages are expunged from Trash only.

I detected the problem with complaints from users trying to empty their
mail boxes. The webmail tried to move the deleted messages to Trash.

I desirable behaviour would be:
1. Add a negative byte and message count to maildirsize whenever a mail
is moved into Trash.
2. While moving a message do not touch maildirsize at all at least that
one of the folders involved (origin / destination) were Trash.

[1] may  be nicely combinated with a hard quota limit imposed in
dovecot.conf to Trash folder.
[2] is necessary regardless the patch Timo provided so a user can move
messages among its folders while being overquota.

Regards,
maykel