[Dovecot] mailadm? authentication vs. authorization?

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Nov 24 10:13:25 UTC 2006

Does "dovecot" have anything similar to the UW IMAP "mailadm" group
operation?  From near the end of:

   http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/RELNOTES.html

   'Support for SASL authentication identity vs. authorization identity in
   the IMAP and POP3 servers.  If the user indicated by the authentication
   identity is in the "mailadm" group, he may specify any authorization
   identity and get logged in as the authorization identity user.'

This allows an email administrator (member of group "mailadm") to sort out
problems in a user's mailbox as that user identifier.  (We try to train
our users not to reveal their password to anyone, not even to our own
staff.  But sometimes, as staff, it is very useful to be able to do
operations as a particular user to diagnose a problem.)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :