[Dovecot] IMAPS works, IMAP does not

Peter Lindgren peter at norrskenkonsult.com
Sun Nov 26 21:39:40 UTC 2006

Hello!
I have a simple (I think) problem. I have had IMAPS working fine for a
long time. Now I want to start to use IMAP and STARTLS, since my mobile
SonyEricsson P900 can't use IMAPS directly. But I can't connect even
locally to the IMAP port (143), no-one listens there according to
netstat (*.imaps is in LISTEN state). I have the following settings in
my /etc/dovecot.conf:

protocols = imap imaps
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/dovecotcert.pem
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
disable_plaintext_auth = no
login_user = _dovecot
login_greeting = Dovecot at casiopea ready.
mail_read_mmaped = yes
mmap_no_write = no
protocol imap {
   login_greeting_capability = yes
}
protocol pop3 {
}
auth_verbose = yes
auth default {
   mechanisms =  cram-md5 digest-md5
   passdb passwd {
   }
   userdb passwd {
   }
   user = root
}

I have restarted (SIGTERM) dovecot to be sure that dovecot is restarted.
I still run 1.0beta3 on OpenBSD.

TIA, Peter
--
Peter Lindgren, dataingenjör
E-post: peter "at" norrskenkonsult punkt com