[Dovecot] Too many open files

Quentin Garnier cube at cubidou.net
Mon Nov 27 18:27:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, Nov 18, 2006 at 11:57:07PM -0500, Amitai Schlair wrote:
> Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > No. There's a leak somewhere. Could you check what file descriptors are
> > open for such process once it has been running for some hours? So lsof
> > -p <pid> or look into /proc/pid/fd/ directly. If it's leaking it should
> > show at least tens of opened files. Once I know what files it's not
> > closing it's easier for me to fix this.
>
> I'm still getting "Too many open files" with 1.0rc14 on NetBSD with
> kqueue; when this happens, lsof says there are over 1000 pipes open. Is
> this addressed in 1.0rc15? If not, what can I do to help it be addressed
> before 1.0?

I've long stopped using kqueue on my prod servers, and while I've hardly
looked at the issue recently, I noticed that it was much harder to
reproduce on my build machine, which happens to run a 3.99.x Xen kernel,
whereas the prod server runs 2.0.  I _think_ I managed to make dovecot
leak one fd at some point on the build machine, but that might just be
memory playing tricks on me.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube at cubidou.net - cube at NetBSD.org
"You could have made it, spitting out benchmarks