[Dovecot] Deliver bounces messages if can't write to logs

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Tue Nov 28 14:56:33 UTC 2006

I am new to using Dovecot's LDA deliver.
One particular item which I think may be improved..
If one uses logs instead of syslog and if Dovecot/Deliver can't write to the
logs, mail is bounced.

In contrast if it can't connect to the authentication socket auth-master, it
defers.

Shouldn't mail be deferred if access to the log files fails due to rights?
Doesn defer makes more sense than to bounce in this case?

In all likelihood it was postfix that bounced/deferred, but I believe it has
to do with what response postfix got from deliver.