[Dovecot] Quota problems on uidlist files

Michael Paesold mpaesold at gmx.at
Wed Nov 29 12:46:03 UTC 2006

James Nunnerley wrote:
> One solution would be to take the dovecot-uidlist file out of the mail
> directory structure, on which the quotas are enforced, but this is not
> configurable in dovecot.  Alternatively, having someway of changing to
> ownership of the file would also get around this problem.

It is possible, even if it's not documented as well as it should be. We
use this mail_location setting here:

mail_location =
maildir:%h/Maildir:INDEX=/mail/index/%u:CONTROL=/mail/index/%u

This results in index files (INDEX=..) as well as dovecot-uidlist files
(CONTROL=..) being stored ouside of the home partition (where user/group
quotas do not apply).

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold