[Dovecot] [IDEA] Shared Folders via LDAP Lookups

Gavin Henry ghenry at suretecsystems.com
Thu Nov 30 14:55:14 UTC 2006

Hi All,

We've been thinking a lot about the 2 different ways dovecot implements
shares; namespaces and symlinks.

We currently use the symlink version for our clients and they use the
create_dovecot_shares.pl tool we did at:

http://dovecot.org/tools/

Our idea is either in the namespace declaration or if a folder has a
dovecot-shared file/symlink, have a ldap lookup defined in say,
dovecot-ldap-shares.conf or dovecot-ldap.conf, that queries a dn and looks
for memberUID or a group dn, then those uids/groups can get into the IMAP
maildir.

Obviously the original folder would need to be owned by some predefined
user, e.g dovecot etc.

Then it's just a simple matter of adding a new memberUID/group to the
share listing.

We can do a custom dovecot.schema if needed (for say a dovecotShare
attribute etc.), as long as we get dovecot a Private Enterprise Number
from:

http://www.iana.org/cgi-bin/enterprise.pl

If Timo hasn't already got one, but I can't see one in:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/enterprise-numbers

Thoughts?

--
Kind Regards,