[Dovecot] Received dates problem in Outlook after migration

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Oct 1 23:47:02 UTC 2006

Hello everyone,

I've just started using 1.0-beta3 on Ubuntu Dapper, having migrated
from an mbox / UW-IMAP combination to a Maildir / Dovecot one.  For
some reason the mb2md tool failed to recognise some of my mbox files as
valid ones, so I migrated my email by running UW-IMAP, copying my
folders to local storage in Evolution, then running Dovecot instead and
copying the folders back.

All seems OK, except that in Outlook 98 all the emails now have the
date/time of their migration, not when they were received.  This isn't
a problem in Thunderbird or Evolution - but my wife uses Outlook and
doesn't wish to switch.

I've tried using touch to change the timestamps of the mails in my
inbox (in ~/Maildir/cur) but this hasn't had any effect.  I've also
tried deleting ~/Maildir/dovecot.index and
~/Maildir/dovecot.index.cache but this hasn't made any difference
either.

Something else in dovecot must be being sent to Outlook as the date /
time on these emails.  Can anyone suggest what it would be and how I
might go about changing it (to, for example, the Received: date on the
email header?).

Thanks in advance,
James.