[Dovecot] Converting UW MBX mail folder

Ian Mortimer ian at physics.uq.edu.au
Mon Oct 2 02:29:30 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 18:48 -0600, Anne Hammond wrote:

> Thank you.  Read further in my message.  I was trying to
> convert from MBX format via mailutil.
>
> mailutil isn't recognzing the "MBX mail folder":
>
> [root at volt Resume's]# file "Sys Admin"
> Sys Admin: MBX mail folder
> [root at volt Resume's]# mailutil copy ./"Sys Admin" '#driver.unix/new'
> Can't open mailbox ./Sys Admin: no such mailbox
>
> I've copied the MBX mail folder to a name without spaces,
> and also copied it to a different directory and changed
> the modes, but still get the same error message.
>
> Any assistance appreciated because this has been a huge
> headache for a number of people.

mailutil seems to always look for the folder starting from the
home directory no matter what path you give it on the command line.

This is how I convert MBX folders:

   create a directory uw under the home directory:

      cd
      mkdir -m 700 uw

   copy the mbx folders into that directory

   convert with mailutil like this:

         mailutil copy -verbose uw/$in \#driver.unix/uw/$out

--
Ian