[Dovecot] dovecot, procmail and deliver

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Thu Oct 5 18:21:30 UTC 2006

David Lee wrote:
>> But from a procmail recipe, I end up with two "From " lines.  Surely this
>> is incorrect.  How can this be reduced to one?  Shouldn't "deliver" ensure
>> that there is only "From " line?
>> [...]
>
> The deeper I look into this, the more convinced I am that there is a real
> problem in dovecot LDA, part of which is a misunderstanding by dovecot of
> the "mbox" "From " line and a consequent problem in code structure (not
> merely in code details).

I think the real problem is that you are using two LDA's (Local Delivery
Agent) which both assume they are the exclusive LDA.  Dovecot's
'deliver' expects to be handed an e-mail directly from the MTA (Message
Transfer Agent) directly, not via some other program.

If you are using procmail, you should use procmail exclusively to
process the local delivery.  If you want to use 'deliver' with
server-side rules, you should use the Dovecot SIEVE 'deliver'.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group