[Dovecot] dovecot, procmail and deliver

Jason Fesler jfesler at gigo.com
Thu Oct 5 22:38:25 UTC 2006

> My fundamental question about migrating to dovecot.  Following the above
> model, I feel I ought to use only "deliver" (not mixed with "mail.local",
> nor "procmail" nor anything else) to touch the mailboxes.  With dovecot,

Most of my mailboxes are delivered via procmail.  The *huge* mailboxes, I
use dovecot LDA; as well as a small number of Sieve users are using it.
the LDA does caching of headers at delivery time, which is why I use it on
huge mailboxes (100,000 messages in the mailbox).  Small mailboxes, I
don't see so much benefit to using deliver (ie, <10,000 messages).

That's my experience, at least, on a high volume but small number of users
mail system.