[Dovecot] Dovecot vs Ports

Jos Chrispijn jos at webrz.net
Sun Oct 8 18:34:28 UTC 2006

Odhiambo WASHINGTON schreef (08-10-06 16:23):
> * On 08/10/06 13:17 +0200, Jos Chrispijn wrote:
> |
> | Odhiambo WASHINGTON schreef (08-10-06 9:16):
> | >You could have as well explained the problem, if it was that serious.
> | >
> | After the latest portupgrade I rebooted my system and for some reason it
> | stopped booting after loadin acpi.ko
> | Investigated the OS with Fixit (from the first install disc booting and
> | choosing this option from the sysinstall menu).
> | After fsck we could mount the HD and investigate the problem.
> |
> | Main problem was an error in the /etc/rc.conf.. The dovecot_enable was
> | missing the quotes...
> | I think this is due to the portmanager (the person that has made the
> | port for BSD) instead of Dovecot itself...
> | >I am running this version on 30+ FreeBSD 5.5-STABLE boxes and they all
> | >seem fine though. Perhaps I should thank God I still don't run 6.2-PRE?
> | >
> | I think it is a combination of OS version and the person that makes the
> | (accurate) port for that version.
> | Anyway we're all humans after all, so this is allways possible. Just a
> | little bit stressing on a normal Saturdaynight :-)
>
> Are you sure portmanager adds entries into /etc/rc.conf?
> I'd say it's pure madness if it does, because it is not supposed to
> "decide" for me "how" I want to run an installed port, or even just the
> fact that I installed a port does not mean I want to run it.
> I suspect you added the entry and missed the closing quotes ;)

Don't think so... It is very unusual that at inspection of rc.conf after
upgrading Dovecot, it is appended with a line containing:

dovecot_enable=YES
instead of
dovecot_enable="YES"

I just wanted to tell, without offensive behaviour towards any
portsmanager at all (as I wrote, we are humans after all).
Jos