[Dovecot] Dovecot vs Ports

Eric heli at mikestammer.com
Sun Oct 8 18:59:01 UTC 2006

Gerard Seibert wrote:
> Jos Chrispijn wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>> Don't think so... It is very unusual that at inspection of rc.conf after
>> upgrading Dovecot, it is appended with a line containing:
>>
>> dovecot_enable=YES
>> instead of
>> dovecot_enable="YES"
>>
>> I just wanted to tell, without offensive behaviour towards any
>> portsmanager at all (as I wrote, we are humans after all).
>> Jos
>
> I have used 'portmanager' for quite some time now. In fact, I started
> using it when it was still beta.
>
> Portmanager does not add anything to the /etc/rc.conf file unless it is
> part of the ports 'Makefile'. To find out exactly what transpired, I
> would suggest that you contact the port maintainer:
>
>      robin at isometry.net
>
> and inquire as to the behavior of the dovecot port.

not related to the post in question here, but i find portmaster to be
far superior to portmanager and portupgrade. Check it out

i have never, ever seen port-anything add an entry to rc.conf. at best
pkg-install will have a note to do so, at worst it will not and you have
to check out the file installed to rc.d to see the proper entry to add.