[Dovecot] rc7 crashing under heavy load

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 8 23:02:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 11:39 -0400, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Gang,
>
> I may have stumbled on a solution to the "too many open files" issue,
> but I am wondering about the security consequences.  I changed
> login_process_per_connection from "yes" to "no".  This makes a HUGE
> reduction in the number of imap-login processes, from ~200 down to
> the login_processes_count (currently the default of 3).  It also
> made my "too many open files" syslog complaints vanish.  Yippee!
>
> But is there any serious security risk of login_process_per_connection=no?

Theoretically it's more risky, but as long as there are no security
holes found from Dovecot (or OpenSSL if you're using that) it doesn't
really make a difference.

As for "too many open files" you probably could have increased the max.
file count for dovecot process. Don't know how it's done in Solaris
(ulimit -n 10000 before running dovecot?)