[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Mon Oct 9 05:04:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 10:25:53PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 21:00 -0500, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> > I am running Dovecot 1.0-rc6 along with dovecot-sieve from 2006-10-05 CVS.
> > I am calling dovecot deliver from Postfix (main.cf):
> >
> > mailbox_command = /opt/dovecot/libexec/dovecot/deliver
> >
> > Upon switching to dovecot deliver, I observed two problems:
> >
> > 1) An extraneous "From " header now appears at the top of each message
> >    delivered, e.g.:
> >
> > 	From dovecot.deliver  Fri Oct 06 19:59:57 2006
> > 	From sfs at tc.umn.edu  Fri Oct  6 19:59:57 2006
> >
> >    Using Postfix delivery the first of these lines does not appear.
> >    This, of course, confuses MUAs.
>
> Don't give F flag to Postfix's pipe command.

The messages in question are accepted by the Postfix smtpd process and
processed by Postfix, and handed off to dovecot deliver.  I am not
specifying an F flag anywhere.  If I remove the "mailbox_command" I
specified above, Postfix delivers the mail with only the one "From "
header -- with the mailbox_command above (no options specified), I get
two "From " headers.

> Although this reminds me that the "dovecot.deliver" is wrong in there..
> Hmm. I think I'll add a maildrop-compatible -f <envelope> parameter
> here.

How will this help me?  I don't even want the added "From " header.
If Postfix is not supposed to be writing one, then how do I tell it
not to and how does Postfix tell dovecot deliver what to put in the
"From " header it writes?  (It must be the proper return address seen
in the original SMTP transaction as the MAIL FROM value)

> There, done in CVS. I'll also make 1.0rc8 release today.
>
> > 2) The "Content-Length:" header appears after a blank line, essentially
> >    putting it into the RFC822 body, e.g.:

> > 	test
>
> Are you sure it's a blank line? Dovecot adds lots of spaces after
> X-Keywords which could just make it look like that.

You're correct; the line prior to the "Content-Length:" header was indeed
an "X-Keywords:" header padded out to exactly 80 characters, making it
appear that there was an extra blank line after it (my xterm window is
set to 80 columns).

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593