[Dovecot] patch: mailboxcasecmp()

Frank Cusack fcusack at fcusack.com
Mon Oct 9 11:32:18 UTC 2006

On October 9, 2006 12:57:29 PM +0300 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 11:43 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Mon, 2006-10-09 at 11:42 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>
>> > Anyway, I don't know if I want to support case-insensitive filesystems
>> > right now.
>>
>> He doesn't want to. He just wants to be able to use this in the plugin
>> code (note how dovecot itself isn't modified) to allow a user to filter
>> to "Spam" or "spam" or "SPAM" depending on what the user wants, etc.
>
> Oh. I didn't look at it that closely.

That's nice.  Reject patches you don't look at. :-)

> Anyway I'd rather not change the code until I can figure out if the
> change is actually going to be a good idea. If you just want it to work
> now, you could just as well call strcasecmp() directly since the mailbox
> name comparing code won't be changed anytime soon..

That seems like a bad idea (in theory).  I'd have to duplicate all of
mailbox_equals() which might change without my knowing about it.  Better
for me to keep a local patch, which will fail to apply if mailbox_equals()
changes.

Sure, mailboxcasecmp() isn't ideal, but really I don't see the problem.
It doesn't break anything, and it gives you the hook to fix things later
if you want.

-frank