[Dovecot] dovecot, procmail and deliver

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 12:49:18 UTC 2006

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 17:02 +0100, David Lee wrote:
> > 1. ensure that exactly one "From " line is present (add if necessary;
> > don't add if already present);
>
> Did you figure out this one yet?
>
> Dovecot deliver is the one that needs to write the From_ line. You
> should just make sure that whatever feeds it the mail didn't already add
> the From_-line.
>
> I added -f parameter to deliver today, which allows you to specify what
> address is used in the From-line instead of "dovecot.deliver".

Many thanks.  That "-f ..." sound good.  When "rc8" appears I'll try my
best to test it as promptly as possible.

To other readers who helped on this thread (and to whom I'm grateful):

Timo says "Dovecot deliver is the one that needs to write the From_ line."
Indeed.  But that's subtly different from "[...] needs to generate [...]".

Dovecot needs to ensure that a "From_" line is written to the output mbox
file.  But the contents of that "From_" line should, ideally, represent
the envelope sender of the incoming email, and that information simply
isn't present, except in a "From_"-like field.  (The visible "From: "
isn't necessarily the same as the envelope-sender.)

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :