[Dovecot] Dovecot LDA

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Mon Oct 9 23:18:57 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 October 2006 17:24, Steven F Siirila wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 05:17:39PM -0400, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> > On Monday 09 October 2006 15:38, Steven F Siirila wrote:
> > > Using mailbox_command causes an extra (badly-formed) "From " line as
> > > described previously.  I can't see how anyone could be using this
> > > successfully with Postfix (I'm running version 2.3.3).
> >
> > I have Postfix 2.4-20060930 installed on a FreeBSD 6.1 machine and have
> > dovecot working as an LDA without problem. This is using an MBOX. The
> > mail is accessed by several different MUAs and none have complained.
>
> Okay, but can you tell me what the first three lines of a mailbox looks
> like on your system?  Are there TWO "From " lines?  We have mbox-handling
> scripts at the very least that will break if they start seeing two "From
> " lines.

This is the RAW header as it appears in the MBOX:

	From dovecot.deliver  Mon Oct 09 17:28:37 2006
	From sfs at tc.umn.edu  Mon Oct  9 17:28:37 2006

This is how it looks after being handled by KMail:

	From sfs at tc.umn.edu Mon Oct 9 17: 28:37 2006

The extra 'From' header is stripped out either by Dovecot when it is
accessed via POP or else by KMail. I have accessed MBOX, actually there are
more then one, with different POP clients as well as MUAs without incident.

If you have some custom script handling the mail, perhaps you could simply
modify it to ignore the first 'From' in the message. Since the header
always begins: 'From dovecot.deliver' that should not be that difficult.

--
Gerard Seibert
gerard at seibercom.net

I am looking for a honest man.