[Dovecot] [exim] request to have dovecot authenticator driver 'officially' included/supported

Philip Hazel ph10 at hermes.cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 13 09:12:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Beber wrote:

> > I have integrated this patch (it needed a little work - see ChangeLog).
> > I have done extremely preliminary testing against Dovecot 1.0_beta8 and
> > I think it is OK. The code will be in tonight's snapshot. If anybody who
> > is actually running Dovecot would like to do some more serious testing,
> > that would be good.

> I'm just testing it for PLAIN and LOGIN auth, and I always get :
>
> exim : 2006-10-12 19:15:16 login authenticator failed for
> meathook.meleeweb.net [82.230.172.234]: 435 Unable to authenticate at present: authentication socket read error or premature eof
>
> dovecot : Oct 12 19:14:42 [dovecot] auth(default): BUG: Authentication client 5518 didn't specify service in request
>
> did I miss something ?

Which release of Dovecot? When I installed the patch I had to make a
small change because the Dovecot interface seemed to have changed. Let's
make sure it isn't that before we look further. Looking at the code, I
see that indeed, the change was concerned with "service". If you take a
look at the code in auths/dovecot.c you will find, around line 189, an
fprintf() statement and some comments about how it replaces another one,
which I've left as a comment. You might like to try the alternative
statement and see if it works for you.

Thanks for testing!

Philip