[Dovecot] Client giving "Alert: still here" with dovecot

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 13 14:46:44 UTC 2006

[repost]

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 11:40 -0400, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> I use Cone as my primary mail client and after some inactivity I keep
> getting "Alert: still here" when connected to my home/test dovecot server.
>
> Have tried with thunderbird leaving a connection inactive for a while and
> thunderbird gets no warnings.
>
> Any ideas what this may be?

I think Cone is just showing a bit too much information to user, and in
any case they're not alerts so it's marking them wrong.

They're anyway sent every couple of minutes while IDLE command is in
progress to keep the connection alive through NATs and stateful
firewalls. UW-IMAP does the same thing with a bit different messages.

The messages are sent just the same for Thunderbird, but it just doesn't
show them to user.