[Dovecot] fd leak in 1.0rc7?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Oct 8 23:40:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 01:23 +0200, Quentin Garnier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded a 0.99 installation to 1.0rc7 (going from mbox to
> maildir along the way, but that's another story), and I'm seeing a
> rather fast fd quick;  I already had to restart dovecot once, after a
> few hours.
>
> What is leaked are pipes, left open on the master dovecot process while
> the other end is long gone.  I can't tell right now if it happens for
> every single login process spawned (either pop3 or imap), but at least
> a lot of them.
>
> FWIW, I'm running dovecot 1.0rc7 on NetBSD 2.0.3_STABLE.  I'll try
> debugging tomorrow, but if anyone has an idea what happens in the
> meantime, I'm all hears.

Have you figured out anything yet?

Pipes are created for logging. I haven't been able to reproduce this fd
leak myself, but since several people have ran into "too many open
files" problems I guess it could be because of fd leaks..

I don't really see how it could leak though. Or maybe there are problems
with noticing that the other end of the pipe died with non-Linux OSes?
For example are you using kqueue? I haven't tested it with that.

Also do you see any "Sending log messages too fast, throttling.."
messages in your logs? That part of the code is a bit weird, so it might
have caused them.