[Dovecot] you got chocolate in my peanut butter?!

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Oct 13 16:40:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 10:20 -0500, Logan Shaw wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-09-29 at 11:11 -0500, Logan Shaw wrote:
> >> [1]  Specifically, if getpwnam() returns a username that
> >>       doesn't match what it was called with, dovecot calls
> >>       i_fatal() whose output I assume will go to the log file.
> >>       Since (a) the wrong messages got downloaded, and (b)
> >>       I didn't see any "BROKEN NSS IMPLEMENTATION" message in
> >>       the log file, I assume the check isn't firing.
>
> > I haven't before heard that this check wouldn't have caught the problem,
> > but since I don't know what exactly the bug in nss_ldap is, I guess it's
> > possible that sometimes the username is correct but the rest of the data
> > (uid and home dir especially) isn't..
>
> Yeah, that's possible, but can it cause this problem?  I don't
> think a wrong home directory can cause this problem in my case,
> because I have the inboxes stored under /var/mail and I've
> verified that the wrong messages were present in a mailbox
> in /var/mail.  So the home directory isn't involved.

Umm. I didn't before notice that you said that the messages actually
were in the wrong user's INBOX.

Are you using Dovecot's deliver? Doesn't look like that from the
dovecot.conf you posted initially. So it looks like the problem is with
whatever put those messages in the user's INBOX.. Perhaps still nss_ldap
bug. :)

> So, I'm still confused.  :-)  Does dovecot translate to numeric
> uid and then back again?

No.