[Dovecot] compiling dovecot-sieve

Fintec mailing_list at fintec.co.nz
Mon Oct 16 01:08:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 11:37 +1300, Fintec wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 00:50 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 10:47 +1300, Fintec wrote:
> > > Our server is an CentOS4.4 box and we use the atrpms built RPMs for
> > > installing dovecot. I am wanting to use the sieve plug-in so I've
> > > followed the dovecot wiki instructions, downloaded the files from CVS,
> > > but I'm not sure what configure options to use. When I try without any
> > > options I get:
> > >
> > > dovecot-config not found from /usr/src/dovecot-sieve, use
> > > --with-dovecot=PATH
> > > to give path to compiled Dovecot sources
> > >
> > > I tried using "./configure --with-dovecot=/usr/libexec/dovecot" but get
> > > the same problem.
> >
> > You'll need to have Dovecot sources somewhere, and you must have run at
> > least "configure" script for them. And preferrably you should also be
> > running Dovecot installed from those sources, since if the binary
> > package was built with different options the Sieve plugin might just
> > crash..
> >
> Thanks for the quick reply Timo!
>
> I thought this might be required but just thought I'd ask in case there
> was some clever way around it. I've successfully compiled and made the
> cmusieve plug-in - now I'm off to try it!
>
> Will the cmusieve plug-in be included in the official 1.0 release and
> therefore the RPMs?
>
> For future knowledge I took a look at the atrpms spec file and copied
> their configure options but I also had to run make in the dovecot
> sources before the required "dovecot-config" file was created.
>
> Thanks,
> Gavin

Following on from this I have been unable to get the cmusieve plug-in
working...

Process:
- compile, make, make install dovecot-sieve from cvs
- cp "sievec" & "sieved" to /usr/libexec/dovecot/
- cp lib90_cmusieve_plugin.a, .la & .so to /usr/lib64/dovecot/
- cd /usr/lib64/dovecot/lda
- ln -s ../lib90_cmusieve_plugin.a .
- Added plug-in info to dovecot.conf:
protocol lda {
  mail_plugins = cmusieve
  mail_plugin_dir = /usr/lib64/dovecot/lda
}
- restarted dovecot

The trouble is that after adding a ".dovecot.sieve" file to a user home
directory neither a .dovecot.sievec or .dovecot.sieve.err file is
created and the sieve script doesn't work.

There doe not appear to be anything in the logs, how can I troubleshoot
this problem?

Gavin