[Dovecot] File isn't in mbox format: /home/foo/mail/Trash

James Lupolt jlupolt at rackspace.com
Mon Oct 16 11:40:40 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm seeing the following error on a server:

 File isn't in mbox format: /home/foo/mail/Trash

The Trash file is full of the following at the beginning:

^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^

I've repaired the file several times, but this keeps happening. Would
any of you mind offering me some insight into what could be causing this
and how to fix it?

Below is some information about the system:

[root at server1 mail]# uname -a
Linux server1.example.com 2.6.9-42.0.2.EL #1 Thu Aug 17 17:36:53 EDT
2006 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
[root at server1 mail]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4)
[root at server1 mail]# rpm -qa|grep -i dovecot
dovecot-0.99.11-4.EL4
[root at sever1 mail]# rpm -qa|grep -i sendmail
sendmail-cf-8.13.1-3.RHEL4.5
sendmail-8.13.1-3.RHEL4.5

Here's everything that isn't a comment or blank line in dovecot.conf:

[root at server1 mail]# grep -v ^# /etc/dovecot.conf|grep -v ^$
protocols = imap imaps pop3 pop3s
imap_listen = [::]
pop3_listen = [::]
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot-login