[Dovecot] Dovecot still failing with RC10...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Oct 16 19:34:24 UTC 2006

On 16.10.2006, at 21.09, Timothy Meader wrote:

> Hello, I mentioned back with version RC8 that dovecot was having an
> issue with the first login working, but all subsequent attempts
> failing with the error message: "Error: Maximum number of mail
> processes exceeded" in the dovecot log file.
..
> Now, the max mail processes were already set at 1024 (and I'm the
> only person using this server while testing), but just for the heck
> of it, I tried bumping the number up to 4096 and giving it another
> shot. No such luck. You can login once, but any subsequent attempts
> come back with the error I mentioned.

So even if you log out it gives that error every time?

I can't really see any good reason why that would happen, so I'm
guessing there must be some memory corruption happening somewhere
which is somehow causing this to happen.

> -I'm running this on Solaris 9, not a Linux box

I'm also running Dovecot in Solaris 9, works fine.

> -Dovecot is not running in daemon mode, it's running through xinetd

I tried this, but it still worked with me.. Anyway could you test if
it works in the daemon mode?

It's a bit difficult to try to guess what might be wrong in here and
how it could be fixed, without actually being able to debug it myself..