[Dovecot] Urgent - Inconsistent Inboxes

Jakob Curdes jc at info-systems.de
Wed Oct 18 19:16:39 UTC 2006

Hi,

An urgent problem that I have :

runninng dc 0.99.14 w mbox on local ext3 , nothing special, no nfs,
nothing.
For this machine we have a backup server rsyncing everything over. Now
the main server went down and we started DC on the backup machine some
day ago. Everything went well, besides one problem : people complained
about missing mails that they had seen beforehand. When looking in the
inbox, they were all there. After recreating the imap account (outlook
express) or deleting the cache file (thunderbird .msf files) everything
was well. But you can't really recreate all accounts after switching to
the backup machine every time.... today we went back to the main server
and in advance I deleted all .imap.index files hoping that they might
have been the eventual cause of the problem, but no, same thing happens
again. It now seems to me that this is a pure client issue, but
nevertheless two questions :

a) who knows a way to tell the client (OE or TB in this case) to
disregard all local information and get everything fresh from the server ?

b) Can this behavior be influenced from the server side? I know I'm
behind with 0.99.14 but up to now there was no problem and "never change
a running system". If upgrading could help, I would do it immediately.

Any hints welcome, especially fast ones as tomorrow morning I have to
get the clients running.

Yours,
Jakob Curdes