[Dovecot] Subscription file

Jackie Hunt jackie at yuma.acns.colostate.edu
Thu Oct 19 13:12:35 UTC 2006

> Background:
>
> We are a UW-IMAP shop, using mbox format.  (!)

So are we!

> We are in the process of upgrading to Dovecot, hopefully to 1.0 proper. :)

Ditto!

> One of the modifications we have been using in test versions of Dovecot
> involve the move of the user subscription file from:
>
> 	IMAP-root/.subscriptions
>
> to:
>
> 	$HOME/.mailboxlist

> While it makes sense to me to have the subscription file where it is in
> Dovecot by default, it would be a substantial undertaking to determine
> where to move the .mailboxlist to in our environment for each user, since
> there is no easy way to determine what a user's IMAP root directory is set
> to in their client.

Our documentation has always recommended during client setup
that users specify a /mail directory as their root folder path.
So, our thoughts were to leave Dovecot alone.  We also don't want to
be changing source code in future release.  As new users come on
board, the .subscriptions file will be created.  For our existing
users, we plan to create a $HOME/mail/.subscriptions link to
$HOME/.mailboxlist before the switch to Dovecot.  I haven't tested
this yet, but think it should work.

Is it too late to standardize your IMAP-root for users?

Jackie
---
Jackie Hunt
ACNS                                    Voice:  (970) 663-3789
Colorado State University               FAX:    (970) 491-1958
Fort Collins, CO  80523                 Email:  jackie.hunt at colostate.edu