[Dovecot] performance problems with rc10 and solaris 10

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Thu Oct 19 15:27:38 UTC 2006

Hi,

I am running dovecot rc10 on a Sun E220R (sparc) for 3000 users with Solaris
10 version 6/06 plus current patches.  While the performance isn't great
(it is a slow 2 cpu x 450 MHz box), it isn't bad either.

I use mbox format (/var/mail is NFS mounted) and ZFS for home directories.
Authentication is via PAM.  PAM uses kerberos to Active Directory.

I have the following in my /etc/system file for dovecot:

* double file descriptor limits for dovecot
set rlim_fd_cur = 65536
set rlim_fd_max = 131072

I also discovered that I need this setting in my dovecot.conf, or it
will fail over with the "shutting down too early/too many open files"
problem that is often discussed on this list:

login_process_per_connection = no

Are you sure that your E450 isn't swapping?  The "growing data stack"
sounds like lack of memory/swap issues.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College