[Dovecot] any idea why the mail downloading is slow?

LeVA leva at az.isten.hu
Sat Oct 21 10:37:15 UTC 2006

Hi!

I'm using rc10, but had this problem with previous releases too. Not
sure if this is a dovecot problem, but I can not think of anything
else. The mail downloading with pop3 is ~very slow, approx. 20 Kbyte /
sec. no matter how many mails I've got in my mailbox, or how big are
the mails. My ISP provides me a dedicated 100mbit line, and everything
else works as fast as expected eg. http, ftp, scp...
The OS is OpenBSD 3.9-stable and the system is not under heavy load at
all. I've tried to turn off TLS but there was no change.

Is the pop3 protocol this slow by design or there is something wrong
with my setup?

Thanks!

Daniel

--